- There is no appropriate definition of Weapon of Mass Destruction but it generally known as NBC Weapons ( Nuclear ,Biological & chemical ).
- According to United States Department of Homeland Security – A weapon of mass destruction is a nuclear , radiological , chemical , biological or other device which harm large no. of people.
- There are various treaties related to weapon of mass destruction :-
- Biological weapons Convention (BWC) & Chemical Weapon Convention (CBC).
- Non -proliferation treaty (NPT) to prevention from nuclear weapons .
- Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) – to restrict the use of nuclear weapons by very less country .
- Treaty on Banning Nuclear Weapon Test in atmosphere.
- Partial Test Ban Treaty – it prohibits the test of nuclear weapons in outer space and under water.
- The purpose of all international treaties to restrict the use of Weapons of Mass Destruction .
Weapon of Mass Destruction & its delivery system Act 2005 :-
- In India – WMD Act 2005 regulates weapon of mass destruction.
- The list of weapons under weapon of mass destruction defines in section 4.
- The weapons are as biological weapons , chemical weapons.
- It prohibits the unlawful activities in relation to WMD & their delivery system.
- Unlawful activities – manufacturing ,export ,transport or transfer weapons of WMD.
- Section 8 of WMD Act 2005 :- No individual shall unlawfully manufacture , possess , develop or transport of nuclear , biological & chemical weapons or other explosive device & their means of delivery .
- Section 9 of WMD Act 2005:- No person shall directly or indirectly transfer any material ,equipment , technology to terrorist .
- Section 14 of WMD Act 2005:- Any person found in illegal activities under section 8 shall be punished for 5 years up to life imprisonment and some fine .
- Section 15 of WMD Act 2005:- Any person who found in helping terrorists under Section 9 shall be punished for 5 years up to life time imprisonment and some fine.
Weapons of Mass Destruction & their Delivery System Amendment Act 2022 :-
- Prohibition on financing
- Section 12A is added in this act – No person shall finance any activity which prohibited under this act.
- For prevention of financing by person , the Govt. shall have power to freeze , seize or attach funds .
Tsar Bomba is the world most powerful nuclear weapon of mass destruction . It exploded 4 km above the ground and produce mushroom cloud 60 km high .
Thank you …
Read Previous ARTICLES: